Theme: Uniting for Peaceful Resistance Against Bad Economic and Democratic Governance
“A Better Malawi is Possible! “
Task to be done:-
· Establishment of a core organising team, comprising of leaders from stakeholder organisations
· Letters to City Assemblies (North, Centre and South) for notification on the demonstration
· Write the police to provide security and guard against thugs, unruly elements seeking to disrupt the March;
· Mobilise urban and rural stakeholders to generate a massive response;
· Coordination ensuring that we all move together, handling internal communications, establishing chain of command;
· Drafting of themes for flyers/ posters/banners, use of red cards. Flyers should be distributed 2/3 days before the demo date. 20,000 flyers to be printed. 500-1000 whistles. Flyers will include issues in relation to economic hardships and bad governance. (key fuel ,forex shortage and undemocratic laws)
· Use of an open truck and one or two musicians on it during match or pre-match into key townships.
· Publicity – to organise & handle media coverage to achieve maximum effect through i.e. Zodiak, Joy, Mij, nation and daily times. We need use of public address a day before for publicity and on the actual day.
· Radio announcements to emphases DISCIPLINE during demonstrations.
· Creating publicity through social networking i.e. FB/twitter/SMs etc.
· Liaise with Vendors Association, Minibus Association and Taxis Association.
· Linking up with Nurses Ass. Congoma, MCTU, CCJP, Nkhoma Synod and Students.
· Linking up with Cosatu and other SADC regional NGOs for solidarity.
· Press conferences; 2 days before the march and immediately after the march
· Invite international media to cover
· Assign a communication officer from one participating organisation to coordinate recording of the events in all regions (through videocam and still camera’s)
· Assign someone to manage demo facebook page and update the demo page constantly, especially with pictures
Tentative date: - 20th July 2011/ Regional demonstration/down tools.
Message: 'If you can't join and you're an all CEO, MD, Police, Army, and Civil Servant' please release your house servant/garden boy etc on that day.
Aftermath: - Continued voice and maintaining the pressure on the Government until they address the issues and improve their performance/ use creative media to mobilise involvement e.g. facebook, blogs, twitter;
Colours to be used: - Red Colour (dress/wear anything RED (T/Shirts/Red Card/ placards/ banners, Red whistles)
Route to Use:-
Southern Region: - Blantyre District Office through Kamuzu Highway to Kamuzu Stadium to Civic Offices
Central region: from Community Ground through old town/ Kasungu Highway to City Centre
Northern Region: From Katoto Ground to City Assembly.